After a two month unplanned hiatus, Like Anna Karina's Sweater is back, and with a new look to boot. It was never my intention to stay away for so long, but matters both personal and professional consumed nearly all of my waking hours. Running a small business in this economic climate, and specifically a DVD business -- well, let's just say that the money isn't pouring in. Still, there are some very exciting developments with Benten/Watchmaker that will be announced in the coming weeks.
As a means of celebrating the blog's revival, I thought I'd offer a gift to all of you -- an unofficial (and unauthorized) soundtrack to the 2009 New York Film Festival, which is currently in its waning days. I'll have much more to say about the festival in future posts, which was quite a mixed bag this year, but not without a few genuine surprises (Hadewijch) as well as the inevitable "how-did-this-wind-up-here?" bombs (Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire).
Putting together the following compilation was a labor of love, and I spent what can only be described as an unhealthy amount of time tracking some of them down. It's certainly far from complete, and there are a few critical tracks I wanted to add but couldn't find information about them (namely, two songs from Hadewijch).
For those not in the know, the ingenue on the makeshift CD cover is Sylvia Miles, who's been in everything from Midnight Cowboy to Wall St. to Go Go Tales. She's been a staple at the NYFF press screenings for ages, and this year she made an unexpected appearance in a podcast I recorded with Aaron Hillis and Armond White.
Fifteen tracks that make up an eclectic mix, to say the least. I did my best to find a sequencing that isn't too schizophrenic, and I'm extremely proud of the Handel --> Bobby Brown segue. I'd like to give a special thanks to Gina Telaroli who helped me out with some of the tracks from films that played at Views From the Avant Garde. Download links are below. If you like it (or even if you hate it), please leave a comment. Enjoy!
- 20th Century Fox Fanfare (Wild Grass)
- Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott (The White Ribbon)
- Johnny Guitar - Jeanne Balibar (Ne Change Rien)
- The Werewolf Song - Cat Power (Broken Embraces)
- Ich hab Dich Lieb - Herbert Grönemeyer (Everyone Else)
- Calvary - Baby Dee (To Die Like a Man)
- My Tears Are Dry - Hoagy Lands (My Tears Are Dry)
- Lascia Ch'io Pianga - Tuva Semmingsen (Antichrist)
- Humpin' Around - Bobby Brown (Precious)
- Nu Te Parasesc Iubire - Mirabela Dauer (Police, Adjective)
- Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye - Mohd. Rafi (Pyaasa)
- To All The Girls I've Loved Before - Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias (Everyone Else)
- Heard Somebody Say - Devendra Banhart (Life During Wartime)
- Storms - Fleetwood Mac (If There Be Thorns)
- How Can I Tell You - Cat Stevens (Everyone Else)
Links - The RAR file is 91mb. The Rapidshare link will be faster for those with paid accounts, obvs.